-

The History Of Beeston

Taking a trip down memory lane, we’re taking a closer look into the history of Beeston. After its first mention in the Domesday book of 1086, Beeston has changed dramatically over the years. With the first reference made as ‘Beestone’ thought to refer to the term Settlement or stiff grasses. At the time the area was owned by Ilbert de Lacy and was worth approximately 40 Shillings or in modern days terms £2!

MS
Manning Stainton

As 1/10th of the townships making up the Parish of Leeds, Beeston was heavily associated with sheep farming during the medieval period, with the monks of Kirkstall Abbey grazing said to have grazed 240 sheep in Beeston.

Horsforth

As the years went by, Beeston began to see slight development, with the addition of a small hospital and a Chapel dedicated to St. Mary thought to have been founded in 13th century. 

Horsforth

One of the longest standing buildings in Beeston today was recorded as built throughout the 15th century. Cad Beeston Manor House is a grade 2 listed building and is thought to date back to 1402.
Between 1740 and 1820, the Leeds-Elland and Dewsbury-Leeds turnpike roads were built through Beeston. After becoming nationalised in the 1870’s Beeston’s population began to increase. The industrial revolution saw Beeston grow from its previously small mining village status to a suburb with a population of 2,547, 537 houses, a railway station and post office.

Horsforth

Further down the line in the 19th century, Beeston had become occupied with a working class community living in back to back houses.  
During the Second World War in the early hours of 15th March 1941 Leeds received its worst aerial bombing, Beeston fell victim to the most bombs for any area in Leeds.

However, Beeston escaped with less damage than other areas of the city as the majority of bombs were dropped on Cross Flatts Park. There are rumours this was an act of courage by the German Pilot in an attempt to save lives.

Horsforth

Despite the war years, Beeston saw a century of development. Arguably one of the city’s most popular landmarks ‘Elland Road’ appeared when the ground was leased to Leeds City Football Cub. After the ground was heavily developed and took shape similar to the stadium it is today the newly formed Leeds United Football Club took over in 1920 and the rest is history…

Today Beeston is an area of development, with the likes of Elland Road, The John Charles Centre and The White Rose bringing in crowds from further afield. Beeston has a fantastic community spirit and an ideal spot for those looking to live close to the city centre.


Manning Stainton Beeston | 293 Beeston Rd, Leeds LS11 7HX | Tel: 0113 270 7700 |